The product was developed to make it easy for people to carry it while hiking and camping. It eliminates the need for "heavy bottles of wine, beer or spirits," according to the product's website. Add water and drink. Anica Padilla "Powdered alcohol 'Palcohol' coming to liquor stores, possibly this fall," www.kjrh.com (Apr. 22, 2014).
Commentary and Checklist
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported in the 2011 National Survey on Drug Use and Health that "25 percent of youth aged 12 to 20 years drink alcohol and 16 percent reported binge drinking."
TeenHelp.com states that "[a]lcohol is the number one abused substance by teenagers in the United States." The organization goes on to cite the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University that reported "underage drinkers account for 11.4% of all the alcohol consumed in the United States."
According to the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD), the Department of Justice: "[t]hirty-seven percent of almost two million convicted offenders currently in jail, report that they were drinking at the time of their arrest."
Here are more statistics:
- Every year, more than 600,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking.
- Ninety-five percent of all violent crime on college campuses involve alcohol use by the assailant, victim, or both.
- Ninety percent of sexual assault incidents on college campuses involve alcohol use by the assailant, victim, or both.
- Approximately 36 people die and 700 are injured in motor vehicle accidents involving a drunk driver every day.
- "Drinking and drugged driving is the number one cause of death, injury and disability of young people under the age of 21."