The FBI is asking for the public's help in finding children who attended Camp Winnebago, in Rockaway, New Jersey, and Camp Allamuchy, in Stanhope, New Jersey between August 2019 and March 2022.
The children may have unknowingly become child pornography victims while they attended the two camps where an employee allegedly placed hidden cameras in bathrooms.
The FBI's call for assistance comes after they arrested the 69-year-old employee who allegedly placed hidden cameras in the bathrooms of the camps to produce images and videos of children.
The perpetrator was indicted on charges of distribution and possession of child pornography.
NBC New York Staff "FBI Looking to Identify Possible Child Porn Victims Who Attended 2 NJ Camps" https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/fbi-looking-to-identify-possible-child-porn-victims-who-attended-2-nj-camps/4305989/ (May 04, 2023).
Commentary and Checklist
The perpetrator in the source article allegedly put cameras in the bathrooms of the two camps. Even if he did not physically touch the kids, he still abused them by violating their privacy and sharing the kids' private moments with other people. The accused created images and videos of the kids wearing nothing and publicized them.
Such images are child pornography, the possession, creation, or sharing of which is a federal crime.
If you observe child pornography, you should report it immediately to the local child protection agency, local police, or the FBI.
Here are some tips for what to do if you see child pornography:
- If you observe it on someone else's phone or computer, preserve any evidence, if possible.
- If you find it on the internet, note the name of the website, chat room, or newsgroup where you saw the suspected child pornography.
- A report can be made online at the NCMEC CyberTipline or via the phone at 1-800-843-5678.
- If you receive child pornography through unsolicited e-mail, note the sender's screen name and ISP (Internet Service Provider) and forward the entire message (do not copy and paste) to the FBI.
- DO NOT download the child pornography yourself in order to help the FBI. You may not download such an image to your hard drive, disk, or printer without breaking the law.
- Rely on law enforcement to conduct the investigation into the crime.
- Assist authorities with their investigation, if requested.